Alyssa Dver is Founder & CEO of the American Confidence Institute, author of 7 bestselling books, a TEDx and Boston Best Speaker, and a podcast co-host. Listen in as Alyssa shares the incredible brain science behind confidence. She and Emily also discuss helpful tips for raising confident kids.
- “I love the word misfit, it’s like the kind of cute way of saying the truth is that we are all our unique special selves.” – Alyssa Dver
- “Our purpose is to give confidence and give it to the people that matter to you.” – Alyssa Dver
- “That’s what parents should do. They should lift their children up in a way that’s not fake, that’s not full of bull.” – Alyssa Dver
- “The average person doesn’t regain the five-year-old self-confident level until they’re 60.” – Alyssa Dver
- “How the heck are we going to get better? How are we going to be resilient? We can’t be if everything is ‘good job everyone’.” – Alyssa Dver
- “Not everybody learns the same way. Not everybody operates the same way, try it a different way and try a different context.” – Emily Melious
- 2:32 – A proud mom of a misfit
- 5:08 – Why not develop the strengths and talents of your child?
- 5:46 – Purpose
- 6:25 – A misfit myth
- 8:25 – Confidence is a choice
- 11:05 – Reacting to physical vs. social threats
- 14:43 – Self-talk: Don’t listen to the caveman!
- 16:14 – Confidence informs every decision we make
- 18:56 – Exercise your Confidence muscle
- 22:22 – Helping to prevent your kids from taking a confidence hit
- 29:24 – Fitting in
- 32:12 – Regaining confidence